Thursday, May 23, 2013

Summer Reading Challenge


I'm going to start a Summer Reading Challenge!

My goal is to read one book each week between Memorial Day and Labor Day --> 14 weeks = 14 books.  I love to read, but I just haven't been doing it much.   

Confession: Instead I have been watching The Hills on Netflix.  A horrible, guilty pleasure.  Thankfully it's no longer available on instant so I can't watch it as easily! 

Anyway, I love fiction and I seem to be reading a lot of memoirs in recent years (The Glass Castle, The End of Your Life Book Club, etc).  I have really enjoyed those too.  So far I have books picked out for 13 of the 14 weeks, but I may switch these around if I pick up something that I'm more interested in, or get a better recommendation! ;) 

I'm starting with books that we already own, but I just haven't gotten around to reading them yet.  I'll pick up the rest from the library.  I'm not including spiritual reading or parenting books in my book list, because I'm also going to try to continue that daily as well.  I'm also not going to go crazy and try to read something as long as War and Peace in one week.  I'm keeping my list manageable to books that I think I can accomplish during naps and at night.  This will also force me to get my chores/projects done faster and more efficiently and you know this family is all about being more efficient!

Here is my line-up for June:

Week 1) The Botany of Desire - a Michael Pollan book, my BIL and SIL got this for my birthday off of my Amazon Wish list.  Naturally, I can't remember specifically why I put it on there, but it looks interesting.

2)  Conscious Capitalism (by the Whole Foods CEO).  I have actually never been in a Whole Foods, but my mom told me about this book because she heard about it on NPR, and I've heard him speak on the news and I'm intrigued.
 
3) The Catholic Home - another book from my wish list, I saw it recommended somewhere and I'm really excited to read this one. 

4)With the Old Breed - my other BIL gave this book to my husband.  A few years ago we watched the Iwo Jima series, which I think is partially based on this book.  That series was incredibly profound, so I expect the book to be as well.

5) When Money Dies - my husband's book (he is not the author, he just bought it).  He is really into financial stuff and he's been recommending this book to me.  I typically don't read about financial crashes so we'll see if I get through this one!

Now that I look at this list, I don't see very many *fun* books on here!  Oh well!  This is my "brain exercise" for the summer.  =)  What are your summer reading plans?  I'd love any additional recommendations!

2 comments:

  1. Great idea! I've been on a book drought, but am reading The Glass Castle right now. Thank goodness I finally found a good one to motivate me back into reading more. It's so intriguing! Good luck with your goal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I'll be curious to hear what you think of The Glass Castle. The whole time I was reading it, I just kept thinking "this can't be real!" Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete