Monday, May 20, 2013

My Running Story: Annie the 'On-Again-Off-Again' Runner

Part of my focus with this blog is emphasizing the outdoors and how my little family tries to get out there and enjoy it.  I am the process of re-discovering that running is a great way to do that, but as an adult I've had the bad habit of being an 'on-again-off-again' runner:

I ran my first road race when I was in elementary school.  A 5k on an out/back course, a small race.  I loved it, and I started running in road races in the other towns near ours and ran in addition to doing other sports and activities that kids do.  I ran track, cross-country and road races steadily through high school.  When I went to college, I attempted to walk on the cross-country team.  That was a totally humbling experience as I quickly realized I was WAY out of my league, and promptly, walked back off.  =)

So, after that I ran off and on for fitness but didn't really do any races.  In law school, I got in to sprint triathlons and did my only (to date) marathon, the Marine Corps Marathon, in 2005.  I loved the whole marathon experience, but once I started working after law school, I let my fitness fall by the wayside.  I know, that was lazy and there is no excuse for that!  In 2011 I got back on the wagon, trained for and ran, the Shamrock Half-Marathon in Virginia Beach.  This was a great race, flat and on the beach.  I was thrilled to finish just under 2 hours (1:58) and I was back in love with running again!

Now it's 2013 and over the last 1.5 years or so, we've been moving across the country, taking another bar exam, working and adopting, and running became less and less of a priority over the last two years.  But thankfully, I am back at it this Spring as I train for the Coeur d'Alene Half Marathon, and I can certainly say that getting back in shape, over and over again, is no fun.  This time, I am committed to making running a part of my lifestyle.  I feel better when I run and I am happier when I run.  I am really enjoying the variety of training that this running group provides and it has been fun to meet other folks who enjoy running.  I have learned that I am motivated by having specific races to train for, so I'm hoping to have some fall races that I look towards after the CDA Half.  I also asked my husband to make me a training plan that will get me faster this summer.  He's got a great running and fitness background, so I am excited (and nervous!) to see what he comes up with.  But that's just a little glimpse into my running background, if anyone reads this, you can keep me honest by checking back with my updates over the summer to make sure I stick with it!

Have a great week!

2 comments:

  1. Are you running CDA this weekend? If so, good luck! It was my first half marathon back in 2008. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am, and thanks for the good wishes! Apparently it's a slightly new course due to construction downtown. I'm excited in any case!

    ReplyDelete