Monday, March 10, 2014

Book Review: Adopted for Life, by Russell Moore

I recently read Adopted for Life: The Priority of Adoption for Christian Families & Churches, by Russell Moore.

It took me a while to get into this book, but overall, I liked it and I do recommend it for anyone considering adoption.  It's a good one to add to your home library of adoption resources, and good to share with your relatives if you are an adoptive family.  Moore discusses adoption on earth through the lens of God's adoption of us as Christians.

My favorite take-away from this book: "adoption is a past-tense verb" and your child's adoption shouldn't be "the key defining characteristic of your child."  I agree completely, and this is something that I have been thinking about a lot lately - I like to share about our adoption because I want more people to think about it as an option, but I don't want my sweetie to think that it defines who he is.  The author provides some good ideas for how to respond when people want to talk all about all the details of the process of your adoption.

A major focus in this book is about how churches can foster a culture that is open and supportive of adoption.  He makes a point about how great it would be if wedding ceremonies incorporated prayers for children of the union, whether they come through birth or adoption.  I loved this part, and I would love to see more churches talk about adoption here on Earth just as God's adoption of us.

While I didn't just devour this book, I'm glad I read it and it has made me think more about international adoption in particular.  

Have you read this book?  Is international adoption a part of your life?  If so, I would love to hear about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment