Monday, November 11, 2013

Veterans Day

Good Monday Morning!  Today I'm thankful for all of our veterans, especially my veteran-husband!

It is funny how things work out: I come from a Navy family, but it is mostly because the women in my family married Navy men.  My Great-Grandfather was a Navy doctor.  Both of his daughters (one of whom was my Grandmother) married Navy doctors.  My Grandmother had 7 kids and all 4 of her sons served in the military.  My brother is in the Navy, and both my sister and I married Navy men!

My man was in the Navy for 6 1/2 years.  He was gone a lot when we were first married, so it was really a tough adjustment for me!  My thoughts now are always with our friends who are still sticking it out.  We were really lucky - he only missed our first wedding anniversary.  But we know lots of families who have had to celebrate many holidays, anniversaries, and birthdays while Dad is overseas.  And he has friends who made the ultimate sacrifice, and not a day goes by that we don't think of them, and pray for them and their families.

The happiest day for any military family is the day the service member comes home from deployment.  When D came home from his second deployment, his plane landed literally in the middle of the night, so there was no fanfare like you see in the newspapers sometimes.  I stayed up all night at the base airport waiting for it to land and jumped into his arms as soon as I saw him.  Reunions are always the best part of Navy life!

I'm thankful for his service and sacrifice, and for the service and sacrifice of all of our other veterans. 

Who are the veterans in your life?  Go buy them a beer to show your thanks!


No comments:

Post a Comment