Sunday, July 7, 2013

Race Report: 4th of July Pass 5 Mile Trail Run

Hi!

I ran in the 1st Annual 4th of July Pass Trail Run yesterday.  There was a 5 mile option and a 25k option.  It was my first trail race and I had no idea what to expect, so I opted for the 5 mile race.

Waiting to start.

And it was SO. MUCH. FUN!  Wow!

It was a gorgeous, rolling course on XC ski trails.  The 5 miler was a small race (I was the 3rd woman finisher!) but just a great course and fun casual atmosphere.  I'm not sure how many people were in the 25k because they started before I arrived.  The race was organized by the Trail Maniacs, and they were busy cooking up burgers just as soon as we were finishing, and they had coolers full of beers, sodas, water for a nice, fun post-race cook-out.  I had to hustle back home to relieve D of babysitting duty, so I left pretty quickly after finishing, but next year we are definitely going to make it a family event so we can enjoy the cook-out.
My photos while running can't do the scenery justice.

The race organizer mentioned that he had seen some elk on the course the night before, and I was really hoping we'd get to see them, but they must have moved away by the time I came through because I didn't see any.  My time was pretty slow (about 53 minutes) but that included a little bit of back-tracking because a guy in front of me thought we had made a wrong turn.  As it turns out, we hadn't -- thankfully!

4th of July Pass is less than a half hour from CDA.  We have to get back there for some hiking (and hopefully, even some XC skiing this winter) because it is such a pretty area and so accessible.

I think I might be a trail maniac now! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment