Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Library Finds

This past month I decided to take a break from the stack of non-fiction books on my bedside table, and picked out a few random fiction titles from our lovely library.
My Library Bag
Also, knowing that we'd be spending a lot of time at home (potty training), I grabbed a bunch of new books for M.  He loves, loves, loves reading, so I am always looking to add new books to our collection.  When I look for books for him, I just skim a few pages to make sure it's not too long or too short.  I don't read the whole thing, because I know I'm going to be reading it one hundred times at home and I like to be surprised too!  (At least for the first time!)  As it turns out, I picked some winners and losers.....

For Me:
Sing You Home
Jodi Picoult

I read this in two days, so it falls into the category of "can't put it down."  I would say I was captivated, but I didn't love it.  I have read nearly all of Jodi Picoult's novels, and there is always some twist that I don't see coming, but I didn't like how the novel attempts to tie everything all back together neatly.  That made it seem kind of superficial, even though the characters became very complex.  Maybe I would have liked it better if the ending kept some of the messiness of real life?

Portrait of a Lady
Henry James

This has been on my "to-read" list for ages, and I finally found it at the library! I am really enjoying it and desperately trying to finish it before I have to return it, ha!

The Assassins
Joyce Carol Oates

Started it, switched to Portrait of a Lady, then ran out of time to finish it this month!

Winners for M:

How Old MacDonald Got His Farm

Cute rhyming story with great illustrations.  I think this has been my favorite one to read this month!

Looking for a Moose

M is LOVING this one, but I'm over it.  But if it's about a moose, you know we have to get it because we live in moose-land out here!

Gossie & Gertie

These two are so cute.  Plus, M now says that I am his "best friend" so I love that this book taught him the concept of best friends!  Ha!

How to Hide a Lion

This was a cute book.  M loved to point out the "naughty burglars."

M liked some of these books, but I didn't enjoy reading them as much:

Gramps and the Fire Dragon

M does like to read this story, but at first I was concerned that it might be a little scary to him.  I turned it into an "oh, what a SILLY fire dragon" and that seemed to take care of that! But...

Mrs. Tittlemouse

He is scared of Mr. Jackson, the frog?  Maybe it's because he might break the rocking chair?  Go figure.  Fire dragon --> not scary.  Frog wearing a three piece suit --> terrifying!

Duck & Goose Go To the Beach

Cute story, nice illustrations, but I don't like when books for kids always have a character who is complaining/whining.

********

In all, M really likes all these books and wants to read them over and over again, except for Mrs. Tittlemouse.  I have just found some of them to be more annoying (to me) than others.  If you are my real life friend with a kiddo, you just might find a copy of How Old MacDonald Got His Farm under your Christmas tree this year, that's how much I liked it!

Did you find anything good at the library this month? Got any fiction recommendations for me?  I am looking forward to finishing "Story of a Soul" next; it has been burning a hole on my Ipad!


No comments:

Post a Comment