Friday, October 2, 2015

Reading in September

Happy October!  I'm on a mission to read more, so I'm going to try to track my reads every month here.  I'd love to hear what you're reading too and what you recommend!



A History of Western Music
I picked up this book because it was mentioned in the most fascinating Runner's World article about Mirna Valerio.  I love reading about real life runners and she has such an interesting story.  Since our household is becoming so music-oriented, I thought this book would be interesting.  It's really a textbook, and I have never studied music theory or music history so there was way more in it than I could read right now, but I did enjoy reading as much of it as I could (about half-way by the end of the month).

Strong Mothers, Strong Sons
Meg Meeker, M.D.
I really liked The Ten Habits of Happy Mothers and I liked this one too.  I don't think most of it applies to our family life right now (because the boys are so young), but I'm still glad I read it now so that I can refer back to it in the future.  I definitely recommend this to ANY boymom!

The Essential Montessori
Elizabeth G. Hainstock
This was a quick and easy introduction to Montessori.  I've been curious about Montessori for a while, and this book gives a kind of '30,000 feet' broad overview, with highlights from Montessori's own writings.  There wasn't much too it and I basically skimmed it in one evening, so I didn't get a ton out of it. 

The Boston Girl
Anita Diamant
What a great read.  I picked this up after seeing it on Alicia's list here.  I read The Red Tent years ago but hadn't thought about this author in quite a while.  I really enjoyed this book - it reminded me of A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, which is my all-time favorite book.  This was a great 'fiction break' for me in the middle of my stack of non-fiction books.  I also love the cover image and think I need a copy of it on my desk, haha!

Better Than Before
Gretchen Rubin
I am really enjoying this book.  I haven't read her other books (about cultivating happiness) but she has a great, conversational writing style.  I just started this one at the end of the month, so I'll pop back in with more on it when I finish it.

Tell me what you are reading!  I have The Fringe Hours and cannot renew it because someone is waiting on it, so I am storming through it now.  What should I read after that?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment